Tuesday, September 22, 2009

They're not all bad

This past weekend my 11 year old daughter and I went to a "Tween" seminar / fashion show about Modesty, it was called Secret Girl Keeper. Very good, is based on the Bible and the fact that God loves us and makes each one of us truly beautiful and unique. We both enjoyed ourselves and our little alone time, it's not easy having one on one when you have 4 kids.
Well on the way home from the conference I had a conversation with Christine and made a decision based on my actions and what I feel is the right thing. I basically told her that she will no longer be listening to a few music artist that she likes and has on her Ipod, she was very upset. The reason for that is I feel they are very inappropriate for her age and self esteem, songs about how to look good, get a guy, and show off your body...not okay. I admit that I allowed it, she asked me for those artist and I put them on her Ipod, artist such as Beyonce, Black eyed peas, Gwen Stefani, and Rhianna. At first I didn't think it was that bad, they weren't songs about sex and they were only very mild. So her argument to me was "What about the other songs from those artist? Not all the songs are bad!" So I told her this...
If you have a friend, and that friend is doing drugs, would you hang out with them? No. Would you hang out them on the day they didn't do drugs? No. So you don't listen to one song from a person that sings about their body and how to get a date with it or some other wrong reason.
God has made us for one man and one man alone, our Husband. We keep ourselves covered and dress modestly so we do not show our treasures(body) to other people. We certainly don't sing about the secrets of our bodies to the whole world or represent the ones who do. I made a mistake by allowing my daughter to listen to the wrong kind of message and now I have corrected it. We aren't all perfect and we do make mistake with ourselves and sometimes our kids but it is never to late to correct those mistakes and turn them for good.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Marion! I know I'm guilty of this too. I was always very careful when they were younger, but now I find myself slipping. It's for selfish reasons, of course. Thanks for the reminder to stand up for what I believe in...again!

    ReplyDelete